My ode to mom and dad
I’ve been here for almost a year and five months now, and yeah.. I miss mom and dad..
When I first arrived here, I used to call them only every other week. Sometimes it’s my mom who calls me, as she is wondering why I never call her. But lately it had been different; calling them thrice a week is now normal. Must be a sign that I desperately miss them, especially now that I’m about to celebrate my second Christmas alone here.
Looking back, I am thankful to everything that both of them had taught me. Despite my being an only child, I was raised to be independent and self-sufficient. My parents never spoiled me in material possessions, but I was abundantly showered by love, affection and attention. Growing up with no siblings, my parents know that they needed to raise me to be independent because time will come that they will not be there anymore for me, and even if I do not have any “ate” or “kuya” to run to, they feel secure knowing that they’ve raised me well enough to stand on my own and make my own decisions.

A lot of people say that I look like both my parents, the upper part of my face from my mom, the lower part from my dad. I don’t actually know what traits I took after them. Hopefully I can someday be like them when it’s time for me to raise my own kids. I want my kids to look up to me just as much as I respect my mom and dad.
I really miss how “mokong” my parents are. Old as they are (dad’s 56 and mom’s 51), they are still one of the sweetest couple I know. I miss their “lambingan”, hehe. I miss it when my dad will say goodnight to me first before he goes to bed, or how he always gives me the best part of the “bangus” (tiyan hehe), I miss it whenever he says “musta na ang anak kong maganda?” (haha it’s my dad’s fault I’m vain), and how he tickles the sole of my feet when I don’t wanna wake up in the morning.

It’s my mom that insisted I learn to cook and wash/iron my clothes. It’s from her that I learn that I should wait for the vinegar to boil before stirring it so it will retain its sourness, or that putting a papaya stalk while boiling meat will help make it become soft and tender faster than normal. I am still hopeful that I have attained my mom’s green thumb, though the only successful plant I had grown up to date is mongo (yup toge), and that’s even for a science class in grade school haha.
I have acquired my mom’s love for cats, and my “walang pakialamanan” attitude from my dad. Come to think of it, it’s just lately that I realized I look for guys that are exactly like my dad. Someone who will shower me with attention yet will not spoil me, will support me yet will let me decide on my own, and will let me have the best part of the “bangus” hehe.

I miss mom and dad; I hope someday I can tour them out of the country. It’s my mom’s dream to visit the Holy Land, but I cannot bring them there yet, not until I’m out of Dubai as I cannot step back here if I go to Israel or Jerusalem hehe. My mom’s never ridden a plane before so I want her to experience that soon hehe.
I miss you mom and dad, (though you cannot read this because you both do not know how to operate a PC and much more connect to the net) and I love you so so much! I wouldn’t be where I am right now if it weren’t for you guys. Thanks!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home