Monday, January 09, 2006

Holidays!

It's not often that one gets to have holidays here in the Middle East. Being in a Muslim country, where a normal working week is from Saturday to Thursday, and Friday being what we considered as a weekend, getting holidays every once in a while is really something that everyone looks forward to.


One of the holidays we look forward to is the Ramadan, which usually falls between October and November, it's a whole month of working only until 2pm. But not really that fun when you cannot eat out and drink until evening because the Muslims are fasting, and you also can't go to the mall after work because they will open only around 6pm during these times. But at the end of the Ramadan month we get a 3-day Eid Mubarak holidays.

Then the next holiday will be Christmas, we'll that still depends with your boss hehe. Like in my case I was working last Christmas.

We'll at least they celebrate New Year here, so since I was usually off Fridays and Saturdays, New Year falling on a Sunday was really good for me... a 3-day holiday it was!

Not even rcovering from the holidays, a few days ago another 3-day off was announced, Jan.5-7, due to the sad demise of Sheikh Maktoum, our Dubai Ruler and UAE's Vice President.

So I came to work only yesterday but again tomorrow will be the start of another Muslim Holiday! I forgot the name, it an Eid al-something holiday.. So I'll be off from tomorrow til Friday! 4days!

But this holiday is a little more special because Schmuck's also off during those days. It's not often that we get to spend holidays together. He works in Retail so usually they have work during those times. But it's a good thing his boss finally gave him a holiday.

So we will not be bored for 4days, here are what we are planning:
- play Playstation2 (he'll buy Sims2, Sims Bustin' Out and Colin McRae Rally 2005 later), i'm downloading cheatcodes at the moment haha..
- cook, bake, and eat! i'm thinking of buying an oven hehe..
- read, read and read.. we have to catch up on some readings. I'm downloading ebooks for my pda, but I can't seem to find good ones for free. I love classics anyways. But if you happen to have new ones that you can send me for free, please do so! hehe..
- watch Narnia!
- Pig-out!
- watch DVDs!

It is too cold to go the beach anymore. It is averaging 13'C - 18'C outside. So it will only be home and mall for 4days. Hay, we have to make most of this holiday because there will be no more holidays until the October. See you next week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home