Scaring myself to death...
Why do i still go on reading something that scares the wits out of me? Dunno actually, but i get satisfaction out of it. I remember reading Stephen King's "The Shining" in broad daylight, with people around me and yet i'm still terrified with it.
It's just odd that despite my love for horror/suspense novels, i never liked horror movies. I still prefer that subtle yet genuine scare that these books give me than that in-your-face "boo" that most movies give. With my books, i'm inside the characters' world... i can see what they can see, even the remotest gory detail, i can hear the sounds, from that silent whimpher to that deafening scream, but what scares me most is when i can smell the character's fears, when i can smell that pungent smell of decaying flesh and blood, or that intermingling scent of sweat and mud, as if i myself is there, experiencing it...
It's amazing how i can actually smell the dampness of a labyrinth or the mustiness of a tomb, how i can taste the salt in the air, or sense the movements in the dark. I can actually feel the hairs at the back of my neck standing as if i'm being followed or observed. I can hear all that activity in that busy Turkish street, i can hear merchants calling, i can smell the rich aroma of burning incense. Sometimes, i stop reading when the cries and shrieks of the helpless victims are too much for me.
Tonight, i'll be back in Vlad's world again. I can't wait to smell the old world mustiness again, and hear the terrifying cries of the gypsies... Maybe i should put some garlic by my bedside tonight (i already have a crucufix under my pillow).


1 Comments:
that's the power of a great writer, he can make you see, smell and feel everything he/she weaves.
Post a Comment
<< Home